Monday, January 12, 2009

cute as a button


Due to my short stature and lack of apparent cheekbones, I've been called cute more times than I care to remember (I was also called ugly during a tragically awkward stage in junior high, but we won't get into that). 

I always preferred vampy Veronica to perky Betty, but neither style ever fit. If I tried to look "sexy", I just ended up looking like a little girl playing dress up. If I tried to enhance my "cuteness" by wearing florals, pastels and/or ruffles I looked flat out ridiculous, like Little Bo Peep who lost her sheep (and her marbles).

What works for me are masculine styles with a feminine twist. Take leather buttons, for instance, the ones that your grandfather might have had on his coat. Love them. So I was quite delighted to score this cashmere blend leather buttoned $217 Charlotte Ronson sweater for $25 on (as usual) eBay:




and I would love to be able to afford Elizabeth Yarborough's leather button jewelry...






...but as that is not possible at this time, perhaps I will make my own version. Blacksheepyarns has a nice lot for $6.75:



as well as many other fabulous findings:




5 comments:

/// said...

i have the exact look--- what great advice for us 'cuties.' :)

Anonymous said...

uh i like those leather buttons too...well actually i like all kinds of leather clothes and accessories...pants being an exception

Anonymous said...

ups something went wrong in my commenting i'm the mysterious "I"

Laura said...

ha. for a moment there i wondered if i did actually comment that, and then somehow forgot that i did! didn't even know there was an "i said" option...

agree with you on the pants... :)

please sir said...

I LOVE that first sweater! I suffer from being called cute way too many times too. I know what you mean!